Head Swim Coach
Richmond Plunge Masters (RPM)
The Head Swim Coach (Coach) position is a part-time, year-round position, based at the historic Richmond Plunge (indoor pool), in Point Richmond, CA. The Coach reports directly to the Richmond Swims Board of Directors (Board). Richmond Plunge Masters is a US Masters Swimming club.
Coach should be an experienced coach and swimmer, preferably with experience working with adults. The Coach serves as a motivational figure that inspires high morale, encourages recruitment of new members, builds club cohesiveness, communicates effectively, and provides positive reinforcement. The Coach is able to work with all levels of swimmers from beginners to former college swimmers, and have experience working with the needs of aging swimmers.
The head coach is also responsible for planning, advertising and conducting monthly clinics (first Wednesday of the month at 6pm).
Must be available at least 50% of the workouts (listed below). Current need: Monday/Wednesday/Friday Noon-1 pm, Wednesday 6-7 pm (for clinics), Saturday 8-9:30 am. Other workout shifts listed below.
Optional age group coaching shifts Tue/Thu 4-6 pm with our kids’ team Richmond Sailfish. Some pool time available for private lessons/coaching.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific responsibilities and expectations include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as deck coach (see schedule below)
- Prepare workouts.
- Align to a training cycle that takes into consideration the varying levels of commitment and goals of fitness and competitive swimmers, as well as open water/triathletes.
- Provide technical feedback to swimmers and stroke instruction for non-competitive, transitional masters swimmers
- Communicate all practice changes, pool closures, upcoming activities, and competitions to swimmers by email and at each workout and coordinate with assistant coaches to do the same.
- Foster a welcoming environment for new swimmers, with the goal of retaining swimmers who come to RPM for a free trial practice. Encourage club participation.
- Support swimmers going to meets (adjusting workouts for a taper, starts practice, etc), plan to attend a small number of meets.
- Develop, Advertise and Conduct monthly stroke clinics (first Wednesday of month).
- Take water samples, as needed.
- Assist with community outreach and fundraising as needed.
- Plan and schedulestaffing of all workouts, periodic swim events and/or clinics.
- Conduct quarterly coaches staff meeting with assistant coaches and board representative
- Support the Swimming Saves Lives adult lesson program.
- Provide a monthly coaching report to the Board.
- Work with the Board to implement policies and procedures./li>
- Oversee RPM equipment and property needs.
- Keep attendance records and ensure all club members are registered with USMS.
- Submit regular and accurate timecards and expense reports.
- Keep current on all required training and certification for RPM and USMS.
- Other duties as required.
Experience and Certifications:
- Minimum 2 years coaching experience (age group or masters)
- Competitive Swim Experience (former high school or college swimmer)
- US Masters Coach Level 1 & 2 or ASCA Level 1 certifications, preferred
- Current Red Cross Lifeguard certification, CPR/First Aid, preferred
Compensation: depends on experience.
Send swim resume and cover letter to: Karen@richmondswims.org
Current Workout Schedule (12 workouts/week)
Monday – Friday 12-1 pm
Tuesday/Thursday 6-7 am
Monday – Thursday 6-7 pm
Saturday 8-9:30 am